?

Sunday, June 7, 2009

Ok I know .. wasn't I here a month ago saying I'll update more? Honestly - I think about it a few times a week but just run out of time.

I think I tell too many people I'm busy. Recently I had 4 separate people tell me in conversation they know how busy I am. I felt a bit embarrassed as I thought - gee, am I complaining too much? I don't know but it made me hesitant to say anything anymore! I know we all are busy - maybe I just don't know how to manage my time. But darn it! I AM BUSY! I seriously have tried not to be lazy and really keep things going with my home, kids, work and church. There is just so much to learn and to teach. I've found that as I've given up my TV time and sleeping in time I feel like I accomplish more.

In two weeks I will have two graduates! I can't believe it. Raymond is graduating from high school and Chad from middle school. I am very proud of both of them. For Raymond - I can see him striving to do all that is expected of him and all that is right. I know he struggles between being a kid and growing up. At times I can see actually see the struggle in his face as he's making the decisions. But 9 times out of 10 he does the right thing. He wants so badly to grow up and be respected as an adult but is not quite mature enough to take all that comes with it. However I am very thankful he's on the right path.

Chad has had a miracle 180 degree turn. This is a boy who did so poorly the past few years at school I didn't think he'd make it to high school. It was partly our fault as well - we'd ask if his homework is done and he'd say yes but we didn't check. Not good. So a few months ago the school debuted this Parent Portal. It's a personalized site that has your child's school schedule and is kept up to the day on things like attendance and grades. It is WONDERFUL! I have been able to see what assignments he has coming up, how many points their worth - and more importantly HE has been able to see immediately what grades he's getting. We can see the percent his at and what upcoming tests/classwork he'll have, their point value and we figure out how much that can bring up his grades. We're on it several times a week and it has been a terrific motivation for him! He went from all D's and F's for the past 3 quarters to 2 A's, 2 B's 1 C and 1 D. I'm so happy he brought everything up. And to go from an F to a A in 1 quarter is Fantastic! I'm so proud of him and intend to continue to use this Parent Portal. LOL.. he now asks me to log in and have him look at what he got on his assignment. Truly great.

I'm loving my calling. It is so busy (Ha- there's that word again)but I love it. I love the girls in our ward and I love my counselors. I'm still learning so much and I try to spend Sunday's going through LDS.org and all the other sites learning about the YW program. This calling has honestly made me want to be better. I have prayed more in the past month than I have in years (terrible to say but it's true). I pray so much for the girls, myself and my counselors. I want so much to help these girls grow in the Gospel and prepare themselves for the world. So much has changed since I was in YW. I have gained such an appreciation for the past leaders of the Youth. I'm telling you - they are dedicated. The Youth these days have so much temptation, so much pulling them to the other side. It's scary times for them and pray they make it. We are having a dinner, show and auction to raise funds for Scouts & Girls camp. They have worked hard on their skits and I can't wait to see how it'll turn out!

1 comment:

Bre said...

Whoa, I need to check in more. You have a lot going on! YW pres, need I say more. I truly loved serving in the Yw's.
I cannot believe Raymond graduated! In my mind he's still just a kid. Congrats to Chad too on the academic upgrade!