This past week was very disturbing. Savanah has come home in the past saying that this boy likes her or that boy tries to kiss her, etc., Now I remember that age and yes, kids are more aware of liking the opposite sex. I didn't think much of it all though Big Daddy nearly was having mentals at the mere thought. So after a few boxing lessons for Savanah we haven't heard much since.
Until a few weeks ago. It seems Benjamin kissed her on her shoulder and chased her around the playground trying to kiss her. I brushed it off as harmless and told her to stay away from him. Then I noticed that she had something to report about him everyday - that he tells her she's cute and he likes her and always wants to stand or sit next to her. Still, I didn't think much other than he's annoying. Then last week she started asking me to have Daddy come to school with her so Benjamin would leave her alone. Again, I didn't think much but told her I would ask Daddy to come to school as he wanted to work in her classroom anyway. As things turned out he didn't go that week.
After FHE last week I had a talk with Chad, Corina & Savanah. Corina is going to 5th Grade camp this week so I wanted to remind them about inappropriate touching and such. So we spoke about it, we talked about where on your body was off limits to other people and what you should do if someone tries to touch you there. After all was said and done a few days later Savanah wanted to talk to me when I got home and told me she really wanted Daddy to come and tell Benjamin to leave her alone. This time I listened.
We sat down and I asked her what was going on with him. She proceeded to tell me that he always chases her on the playground and still continues to try and kiss her. She tells the teacher and he leaves. Then she tells me in Learning Center he tried to hold her hand several times and tries to put his arm around her and she had to yell at him to stop and the teacher made him move. Then she got very quite and she said he touched her inappropriately. My heart dropped. I asked her how and to show me with me being her and she being Benjamin. She said he touched her muli and rubbed it - and she came right up behind me and did it. She said she took his hand and yelled Stop! and hit him.
I grabbed my sweetie girl and told her she did the right thing! I was so upset - upset at myself that I kept brushing it off and upset that she had felt so bad.
The next morning I went to the school and spoke to the teacher. Here I am thinking the teacher would be surprised - but she wasn't. She said she noticed he was very sexual and that he was like that with other girls but they (the other girls) were/seemed unaware of it. I was floored!! She said she caught him "helping" another girl over something by grabbing her butt and has caught him mouthing "I Love you" to girls. I was so pissed off! I told her I did not want that boy anywhere near my daughter so she moved him. We also went straight to the Principal and I told her what was going on. The Principal told me this little boy had a very troubled life with no real adults to care for him. He lives with the Grandmother but she doesn't do much other than provide a roof over his head and food. He sees a counselor at school twice a week. The boy is 6 years old!! How sad!
I told the principal - if this boy is this aware of sexuality then I'm concerned about where he's learning it - either he's watching it or heaven forbid someone is doing something to him. The Principal thought the same and assured me that she would inform the counselor, call the Grandmother and if the Grandmother doesn't respond she would call the 'appropriate authorities' to investigate. She took him out of recess so he would not bother Savanah & other little girls on the play ground anymore.
It's times like these that I wish I could wrap my kids in a bubble. I know nothing really terrible happened to Savanah - thank goodness. But the thought that she was close enough to 'maybe' something bad happening to her - makes me sick to my stomach. I am proud that she came to me and asked for help. I'm so thankful for it!
She also feels relief. She was so happy I went to the school and took care of it. Friday she came home - and no reports of him bothering her. She was carefree again.
It is so scary to think of this things happening to our children. I am so sad that this little boy, here on the Earth only 6 short years and already has so much to deal with. I pray that he will be protected somehow and find the love and nurturing he deserves.
So very sad.

3 comments:
So scary! And so sad. I hope that little boy gets help. Im glad Savanah is ok.
oh my im surprised that blair didnt go over there with a shot gun so glad she is ok...
That is really scary Analei! So happy you took care of it. I see it all the time in my kindergarten class at Kindercare, a few kids have been withdrawn for the school for that behavior...they are 5! Crazy! I had to sit down almost daily to explain to the girls why certain behavior from the boys should not be welcomed and that the boys needed to keep hands, arms..no doctor pretending..all to themselves. It really shocked me. Good for Savannah for recognizing it was not appropriate (unlike many of the little girls in my kindergarten class) and pushing him away!
Post a Comment